The 9th bi-annual conference on Generative Approaches to Language Acquisition ‒ North America (GALANA 2020) will be held on August 21-23, 2020, hosted by the Institute of Linguistics at the University of Iceland in Reykjavík, Iceland. Although this is the first time that GALANA is hosted outside North America, it will still take place on the North American tectonic plate, where the University of Iceland campus is located.
The GALANA conference features theoretically informed research on all types of language acquisition scenarios, including (but not limited to) monolingual first language acquisition, bilingual/multilingual first language acquisition, second language acquisition by children as well as adults, third language acquisition, acquisition of signed as well as spoken languages, language disorders, language acquisition in the presence of cognitive impairment and autism, the development of pidgins and creoles, and language attrition.
Conference website: https://conference.hi.is/galana9/
- Dr. Nina Hyams – University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Dr. Marit Westergaard – The Arctic University of Norway (UiT)
- Dr. Sudha Arunachalam – New York University (NYU)
Abstracts are due January 22, 2020. (23:59 Pacific Standard Time)
Authors will be notified of acceptance by March 10.
GALANA-9 invites abstracts for oral and poster presentations.
We invite abstracts for original, unpublished generative research in all acquisition subfields: L1 acquisition (monolingual), L1 acquisition (bilingual/multilingual), L2 acquisition (children), L2 acquisition (adults), L3 acquisition, acquisition of signed languages, language disorders, acquisition in the presence of cognitive impairment and autism, the development of pidgins and creoles, and language attrition. Please indicate in the submission system if you want to be considered for an oral presentation, a poster presentation, or both. Oral presentations will be 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes for discussion.
– Abstracts must be limited to 500 words (with an optional second page for examples, figures and references).
– Abstracts must be correctly prepared for double-blind peer review.
– Submissions are limited to one single-authored and one co-authored paper.
– Abstracts should be submitted at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=galana9 (EasyChair).
Questions should be directed to the conference e-mail: email@example.com
The GALANA-9 organizing committee:
- Sigríður Sigurjónsdóttir
- Iris Edda Nowenstein
- Dagbjört Guðmundsdóttir
- Einar Freyr Sigurðsson
- Anton Karl Ingason
- Filippa Lindahl
- Lilja Björk Stefánsdóttir
- Tinna Frímann Jökulsdóttir
- Þorbjörg Þorvaldsdóttir