Conference website: https://sites.google.com/site/sinfonija9/home
Rajesh Bhatt University of Massachusetts
Jonathan David Bobaljik University of Connecticut
Tobias Scheer Université de Nice-Sophia Antipolis
Michal Starke UiT The Arctic University of Norway
Call for Papers
Abstracts are invited from all areas of theoretical linguistics, including phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, language acquisition and historical linguistics. Submissions from other areas of linguistics will also be considered, provided that the theoretical significance of the paper is clearly demonstrated in the abstract.
We invite abstracts for
a 25 minute oral presentation, followed by 5 minutes of discussion
a poster presentation
Workshop on *ABA patterns
In connection with the Sinfonija conference, we invite abstracts for a special workshop on topics related to *ABA patterns in morphology. The abbreviation *ABA means that homonymies between three or more forms are not distributed randomly, but along a linear sequence where two forms may be identical when a third form (the one in the middle) is the same (AAA), but never when that form is distinct (*ABA). We are interested in patterns of root suppletion (Bobaljik 2012), whole form syncretism (Johnston 1996, Starke 2009), stem syncretism (Wiese 2008) or other phenomena that share the abstract linear property. We welcome contributions that discover new patterns or provide arguments for a particular understanding of *ABA. We especially welcome contributions that observe or derive *ABA patterns across a non-linear paradigm space (Johnston 1996, Vanden Wyngaerd 2014).
The workshop has no special invited speaker, noting that Jonathan Bobaljik and Michal Starke are among the invited speakers for the main session.
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION (Extended)
20 March 2016 April. 3, 2016
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE
31 May 2016
- abstracts should be in a PDF format
- please indicate in the submission form whether you want your abstract considered for the main session (talk/poster) or the workshop
- submissions are restricted to a maximum of one single-authored and one co-authored abstract (or two co-authored abstracts)
- they should be no longer than 2 pages of A4, a font size 12
- at the top of the 1st page only the title will be given, abstracts must be anonymous
- Please submit your abstract only through the EasyChair system: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sinfonija9.