Psycholinguistics in Iceland – Parsing and Prediction (PIPP)
Conference dates: 19th-20th June 2019 in Reykjavík, Iceland
Submission deadline: 11th January 2019
Conference Website: https://conference.hi.is/pipp/
EasyChair abstract submissions: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=pipp2019
Call for papers:
The Brain and Language project at the University of Iceland is organising a conference entitled Psycholinguistics in Iceland – Parsing and Prediction (PIPP). The conference will be 19th-20th June 2019 in Reykjavík, Iceland.
We have two keynote speakers who will present their own research on language processing:
- Colin Phillips (University of Maryland)
- Adrian Staub (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
We invite the submission of abstracts in psycho- and neurolinguistics that address topics around the predictive power of the parser and we encourage submissions relating to a wide range of languages. The parser sorts through a large amount of information to find important cues in the speech stream for building an accurate model of the structures and sounds being produced. But to what degree does the parser use that information to make predictions about upcoming information? Are those predictions probabilistic or categorical? How aggressive is the parser in making predictions? How costly is processing in the environment of previous incorrect predictions? What cues are used in prediction, and how do they interact?
Presentations will be 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes for discussion. In addition, there will be poster sessions. Submissions must be received by 11 January 2019. Notifications on acceptance will be sent out in mid February.
- Abstracts should be no more than one (A4) page plus one additional page for figures, tables, and references; they should have 2.5 cm (1 inch) margins on all sides, and be set in Times New Roman with a font size no smaller than 11pt.
- The submission must not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way.
- Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format through EasyChair by 11th January 2019.
Organising Committee: Matthew Whelpton, Joseph Jalbert, Alan Beretta (Michigan State University), Sigríður Sigurjónsdóttir, Þórhallur Eyþórsson, Ómar Jóhannesson, Íris Edda Nowenstein
Feel free to email Joseph Jalbert (email@example.com) for more information or if you have any questions regarding the conference.