The 29th Conference of the Student Organization of Linguistics in Europe (ConSOLE 29) will take place online on 26-28 Jan 2021.
ConSOLE is an annual conference for students of linguistics, with submissions accepted from PhD candidates, master’s students, and advanced undergraduates. Information about previous conferences and proceedings published by the SOLE board (based in Leiden) can be found at the SOLE webpage.
The 29th edition of the Conference of the Student Organisation of Linguistics in Europe (ConSOLE) (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/events/series/sole#) will be held fully online on 26-28 January 2021. ConSOLE aims to provide graduate (MA, PhD) and advanced undergraduate (BA) students with the opportunity to present their research in linguistics to an international audience.
Our confirmed invited speakers:
- Dr. András Bárány (Leiden University)
- Prof. dr. Yiya Chen (Leiden University)
- Dr. Aleksei Nazarov (Utrecht University)
- Prof. dr. Jeannette Schaeffer (University of Amsterdam)
- Dr. Hazel Pearson (Queen Mary University London)
Call for Papers:
Graduate (MA, PhD) and advanced undergraduate (BA) students are invited to submit abstracts for both oral presentations (20 minutes plus additional 10 minutes for discussion) and poster presentations.
We invite papers from all linguistic subfields (e.g. language acquisition, morphology, phonetics/phonology, semantics/pragmatics, sociolinguistics, syntax) and methodologies (e.g. computational, experimental, fieldwork, theoretical).
The deadline for submitting a paper is 15 September 2020 at 23:59 (GMT +2).
We aim to send notifications of acceptance by the beginning of November 2020.
***Important information on conference format***
We are currently planning for an in-person conference to be held at Leiden University (Netherlands) but are keeping online options as a back-up. However, a definite decision on format (in-person/online) of the conference will be announced by 1 September 2020 and communicated via our website/LINGUIST list/Easy Chair. This decision will be made in alignment with guidelines from the Dutch government and the Leiden University, also taking into account the situation in other European countries. In case of a predominantly in-person conference, there will still be the option of online participation for individuals who are unable able or unwilling to travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The conference fee is expected to be 30 euros but will be determined once the conference format is finalised (a lower fee will be asked for online attendees).
- Maximum 2 submissions per author (with at most one single-authored paper)
- Maximum 2 pages A4 Abstract (including references, examples, tables and figures)
- 2.5 cm (1 inch) margins
- 12 pt Times New Roman font
- The submission(s) must be anonymous and not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way (be sure to remove metadata from the file).
- PDF format
- Authors should specify whether they would like to be considered for oral or poster presentation, or for both.
- Abstracts must be submitted through Easy Chair (https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=console29#) by 15 September 2020 at 23:59 (GMT +2)
- Abstracts which do not comply with these guidelines may be excluded from the
For general tips and advice for (novice) abstract writers, see e.g. https://www.linguisticsociety.org/resource/model-abstracts and http://sle2019.eu/downloads/Guidelines%20for%20writing%20abstracts.pdf
Accepted authors will have the opportunity to submit to the proceedings of ConSOLE. Further information about the proceedings will be provided by the SOLE board at the end of the conference.
For updates on the conference follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SOLE-Student-Organization-of-Linguistics-in-Europe-103009994659127/), visit our website (https://sites.google.com/view/console2021); for further queries on submissions or the conference in general contact the local organising committee via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).