The Department of Linguistics and Philosophy at MIT will celebrate Morris Halle’s (1923–2018) centenary with a conference on phonology and morphology on September 8 – September 10, 2023, at MIT, Cambridge, MA
The conference will be in person, posters + general discussion with invited discussion moderators.
Event website: http://m100.mit.edu/index.html
Call for Posters
We invite poster abstracts in the following areas, representing the focus of much of Morris’s work and enduring topics of research in contemporary phonology:
- Distinctive features
- The evaluation metric
- Morphology and the lexicon
- Rule application and the cycle
Posters need not be about Halle’s contribution to any of these topics. Rather, we hope they will present new results bearing on these questions.
Each poster session will open with an introduction that connects its topic to Halle’s work and formulates open questions. Each session will be followed by a period of general discussion.
The abstract submission deadline is Jun 5 2023 at 11:59pm EDST. Submissions must be made via EasyChair:
- Submit abstracts in PDF format with the filename PaperTitle.pdf.
- Include the paper title in the abstract.
- Name the session, from the 6 listed above, that the abstract is being submitted to.
- Limit abstracts to two US letter-sized pages in length, including data and references (just selected references are acceptable).
- Use one-inch margins and a font size no smaller than 11 point.
- Incorporate data into the main text of the abstract, not on a separate page.
- Anonymize submissions by not including author name(s) in the abstract or filename.
- Use the EasyChair platform: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=m100 for the submission of abstracts.
- Restrict submissions to one individual abstract and one joint abstract per author, or two joint abstracts per author.
- Submission deadline: May 25, 2023
- Notification: June 25, 2023
- Conference: September 8–10, 2023