This year’s Semantics of Under-Represented Languages in the Americas Conference will be held in Mexico City at El Colegio de México and Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, May 28-30, 2020.
The goal of the Conference is to bring togheter researchers working on indigenous languages and dialects spoken in the Americas in order to strengthen the connection between semantic fieldwork and formal semantic theory. We encourage the participation of linguists involved in fieldwork, language documentation and revitalization who also carry out theoretically oriented analyses. Graduate students are strongly encouraged to participate.
- Emiliana Cruz (Centro de Investigaciones y Estudios Superiores en Antropología Social-CDMX)
- Martina Faller (The University of Manchester)
- Carolyn O’Meara (Seminario de Lenguas Indígenas-IIFL-UNAM)
- Justin Royer (McGill University)
- Gillaume Thomas (University of Toronto)
On the three days before the conference (May 25, 26 and 27), there will be two short courses, which you are welcome to attend:
- Martina Faller (U of Manchester) will teach a 12-hour course on speech acts in Cuzco Quechua.
- Justin Royer (McGill U) will teach a 12-hour course on different topics on the syntax and semantics of Chuj.
Conference website: https://sites.google.com/view/sula11mexico/home
Call for Abstracts (PDF here)
We invite submissions of abstracts for papers (25-minute presentation plus 10-minute discussion) or posters on any topic in the semantics of under-represented languages of the Americas. As in previous years, sessions will include a discussion period at the end with commentators.
Instructions for Abstract Submission
- Abstracts must be at most two pages long, including data and references, on letter-size or A4 paper with 1 inch margins on all sides and at least 11 point font.
- Abstracts should have a clear title and should be anonymous, so all authors’ names must be absent from all pages.
- The abstract must be submitted electronically in PDF format.
- Abstract submission will be through the EasyChair platform: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sula11
Extended submission deadline: January 20, 2020, 11:59 CST
Notification of acceptance: February 6, 2020
Conference date: May 28-30, 2020
If you have questions, please contact the organizing committee at email@example.com
SULA 11 Organizing Committee:
Ana Aguilar Guevara (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México)
Renato García González (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México)
Samuel Herrera Castro (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México)
Julia Pozas Loyo (El Colegio de México)
Rodrigo Romero Méndez (Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México)
Violeta Vázquez-Rojas Maldonado (El Colegio de México)
SULA Steering Committee:
Jürgen Bohnemeyer (University at Buffalo)
Angelika Kratzer (University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
Lisa Matthewson (University of British Columbia)
Sarah Murray (Cornell University)
Andrés Salanova (University of Ottawa)
Suzi Lima (University of Toronto)
Guillaume Thomas (University of Toronto)
Ana Aguilar-Guevara (Universidad Nacional Atonoma de Mexico)
Violeta Vazquez-Rojas (El Colegio de Mexico)